Sunday, May 2, 2010

Birthing Story

Feb. 20, 2010 (Friday)

Exactly 39 weeks pregnant
No labor pains at the moment


Weekly check-up schedule... My OB performed an internal exam and confirmed that my cervix has not dilated. Also, she said that my pelvic area has not opened. Based on the ultrasound, my baby's placenta is already mature and though my baby is positioned head first it has not fully descended... She recommended I undergo cesarean operation immediately. I was then scheduled for a CS operation the next day at 7am. My husband and I were sadden since we were hoping that I would give birth normally. But then risks were greater if we opted for a trial labor... I felt no labor pains at all, only tightening of my tummy which according to my OB were already contractions. She explained that the baby is facing my front or face up. The proper position should be head down or the baby should be facing my spine. My OB instructed that I be admitted that night around 8pm. She added that I should not take in any food and drinks after 12 midnight in preparation for the surgery.



My hubby and I then went to the nearest grocery to buy things that we might have forgotten to pack like biscuits, food, water, disposable utensils and cups, etc. See below a copy of my hospital packing list:

      Labor Bag:
  • Ponytail/ Headband
  • Lip Balm
  • Lotion or massage oil
  • Maternity Napkins – 1 pack
  • Washcloth/ bimpo
  • Wipes/ Tissue
  • Snacks (e.g. crackers) and bottled water
  • Alcohol
  • Baby book (for hand and foot print)

      For Mommy and Daddy:
  • Duster for Mommy
  • Extra Shirts & Shorts for Daddy
  • Slippers
  • Underwear
  • Bathrobe for Mommy
  • Going home outfit
  • Nursing bra and breast pads
  • Abdominal Binder
  • Toiletries/ Kikay kit

      For the Baby:
  • 3 Baby tie-side shirts
  • 3 Lampin
  • 1 Baby’s receiving blanket
  • 2 pair baby socks or booties
  • 1 Infant cap
  • 1 pair mittens
  • Newborn diapers (1 pack, approx. 22 pcs.)
      Important Docs (all in 1 clear book):
  • Marriage Certificate (original and xerox copies)
  • Birth certificate - required information
  • Philhealth forms – claim form 1 and maternity claims and benefits form
  • All laboratory results
      Others:
  • Camera/ Video Camera/ Charger/ Batteries
  • Cellphone and charger
  • Birth Plan (pero di ko naman nagamit)
  • Cash
  • Styro cups, disposable spoon & fork, etc.
  • 3-in-1 Coffee sachets


We checked the hospital bag one more time, then washed, changed and waited...By 7pm, we were set to go... We went directly to the ER and gave the attending nurse the admittance form. I was interviewed by the resident doctor and my BP and weight were noted. My hubby took charge on the bill. Then we waited again for the assigned room (By the way, my OB advised that I be admitted at the OB ward to lessen hospital fees since we were on a tight budget)... A nurse aid then wheeled me to the OB ward, which was surprisingly decent. There were five beds and only two patients (kasama na ako)... Buti nalang din may aircon hehehe. So, it was more like a semi-private room. The CR was also clean and spacious enough for a ward.

Feb. 21, 2010 (Saturday)


We were unable to sleep. I was nervous for the operation... We prayed that both me and our baby will be safe... Around 3am the next day, the nurse came in and informed us that I should changed into the hospital gown. By 4am, she then placed an IV on my left arm...At 6am the nurses wheeled a bed into the ward. I was asked to sit on the bed and the nurse injected something that was quite painful, my arm became heavy, and after a few minutes I was a bit groggy... This was meant to relax me daw. I was then asked to lie down and after a few minutes I was wheeled to the OR.

DURING THE OPERATION

I felt alone... The lights were so bright in the OR that I felt so exposed. I was told to open my legs and positioned it similar to a frog (don't know a better way to describe it). Then they shaved me down there. I even protested why the need for shaving, they explained that its for the catheter that will be inserted. When the anesthesiologist arrived I was asked to do a fetal position. A nurse supported my legs and head... can't really remember how many nurses were assisting that time... then I felt something painful injected on the arch of my back. I felt a warm sensation traveled down to my legs. I shivered... They then prep me for the procedure. A surgical drape blocked my view to my tummy (buti nalang hahaha). Then the male anesthesiologist asked me if I felt anything poking at me... I then felt something making drawings on my tummy...I think I dozed off then awoke on the sound of the my doctor's voice, then the wiggling motion of my tummy...then a baby's cry... They then showed my baby... That was it. I can't believe tapos na... Ganun lang. I think I slept right after.








AFTER THE OPERATION

I was whilst to the recovery room which was only separated by a wall... They attached monitors to check my stats... I was half asleep... maybe most of the time asleep. I think around 11am I was transferred to my room. I was not allowed to take in anything at all... Visitors started coming... But I was mostly asleep or trying to stay awake... Every now and then nurses entered the room to check my blood pressure, IV and urine output. By 7pm that day I was given the go signal to take in clear liquid. Since I was on a lying position I awkwardly drank using a straw. I was then instructed to try turning on my side...



My pedia visited and advised that we should room-in our baby... so that I can breastfeed her right away. Also he tipped that the hospital posed daily charges if our baby stays at the nursery. However, my OB was against rooming-in because I won't be able to rest. Instead she said I should go to the nursery to breastfeed my baby.


Feb. 22, 2010 (Sunday)

At 4am I was advised to sit-up on the bed side and swing my legs (para daw ma-stimulate blood circulation)... Nurses checked if I already released gas... A few hours after I was told to stand and start walking. By lunch I was allowed to take any soft diet. Syempre sobrang gutom ako pinabili ko na hubby ko agad sa chowking ng plain congee.

ROOMING-IN & BREASTFEEDING

My hubby and I were undecided If we should room-in the baby but then we were excited to have the baby with us... we agreed. I don't know if we made the right decision... Mali yata 'coz that night my hubby hardly slept. We were both unprepared. My baby cried most of the time. Nahiya kami dun sa kasama namin sa kwarto. I was eager to do breastfeeding. I though would be easy but it wasn't. Instead it was painful whenever my baby feeds... At that time, we thought that my milk supply was not enough because our baby was crying most of the time... My hubby decided that he will temporarily give her formula milk (Nan1) that night and that I should rest. Kaya sobrang napuyat asawa ako.

Feb. 23, 2010 (Monday)

My pedia visited to check on my baby. That time we weren't trying to calm our baby. He asked if we burped her every after feeding... We had no idea. He placed the baby on his back and the flicked on the baby's tummy with his fingers... Matigas tummy ni baby...Then he taught us how to burped the baby... Yun lang pala kulang.

Around 9am the nurse said that my OB, Dr. CJ Perez requested us to go to her clinic when I'm ready. I changed into my going home outfit then around 10am we went to my OB's clinic/office (2F ng hospital). Naglakad lang ako noon. My OB said that my recovery was fast. She asked if I pooped, I said yes. She said that was a good sign that my intestines are functioning normally and I can now eat regular meals except meat since I can't exert myself, lifting heavy objects was also not allowed... The OB then instructed me to lie down on the examination table. She then taught my hubby on how to properly clean the wound. She instructed that the wound should be cleaned daily and covered with sterilized gauze. I can also take a bath but I should wrapped by body (tulad sa lumpia) with a clinging plastic to keep my wound dry. The bath should be quick and the wound must be cleaned right after. I was then advised to continue with the Calcium and Iron supplement for 3 months. My next check-up was scheduled a week after.

Finally, we were given clearance to leave. My hubby took care of all the bills and the paper work while I organized our things. Then just after lunch we were off home with our bundle of joy.

2 comments:

Mik said...

Hi Sweet,
Got here from N@W -- thanks for your kwento. 38 weeks na ako on tuesday kaya nagbabasa ako ng mga birthing kwento about CS baka kasi CS rin ako since I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and usually daw big babies yan and my OB was saying at my last prenatal that the baby looks like a "good size".
So far parang ang calm naman ng lahat ng CS kwento na nabasa ko pag nasa Pinas ang moms. Pag dito sa Australia parang andaming may ayaw ng CS or maraming not-so-great stories.
Congrats on the bundle of joy :)

Mavie said...

Hello Mik ^-^
Salamat! Will pray din for your safe delivery. Kala ko mahirap recovery after CS pero ok lang pala, ang crucial lang naman sa recovery ay ang 1-2 weeks. After that okay naman. Basta sundin mo lang instructions ng doctor mo. Tsaka magpa bikini cut ka kase di halata yung tahi mas halata pa stretch marks ko hahaha