Friday, August 20, 2010

Television watching - Is this bad for babies?

I have read from several articles that television watching is not recommended for babies below 2 years of age. There are even studies supporting the negative effects of television watching to children.

We made a house rule that television is a No-No for our baby. If there's a show that we want to watch. What we do is positioned my baby's back facing the tv. It is important that this rule will be agreed by everyone in your home, most specially the yaya. Read maintaining healthy family habit.

Programs that I let my baby watch as of yesterday is an eductaional set of dvd's I bought at a discounted price at SM... A Vocabulary Builder by BabyBumbleBee which contains 5 volumes in 3 DVDs. I only let my baby watch it for 15-30 minutes. The background music is classical and it repeatedly shows common objects with real ones and says aloud the name of objects shown. We do not leave her to watch alone, instead we interact with her while watching.


Baby watching "Baby Can Read"
Below are links to two articles I find very useful.

TV Watching Guidelines for Toddlers
Should Babies and Toddlers Watch Television
A Guide for Watching Television: Tips for your Family

0 comments: